Sunday 26 October 2008

West Kerry bids farewell to adventurer Ger Kavanagh

West Kerry bade farewell to a true hero last weekend as Ger Kavanagh (pictured right on his 80th birthday earlier this year with his wife Bridget)of Gorta Dubh, Ballyferriter was laid to rest in Dún Úrlann cemetery on Saturday, October 25th.
The Ballyferriter native became the first man to circumnavigate the Irish Coast in a man-made 'Naomhóg' leaving his home in Ballyferriter on the 29th of June 1975 with the aim of rowing 1,200 miles around the Irish Coast. Ger completed the momentous task in six weeks and six days arriving home on the 12th of August. Here is an excerpt from an interview with Ger Kavanagh on his 80th birthday earlier this year.
"From Kerry I travelled northwards facing into the Atlantic, the seas around Mayo were tough but from growing up in West Kerry I knew the seas and I knew what to expect.
I made my way around the coasts of Donegal and Antrim and down into the Irish sea towards Dublin, where I encountered busy traffic around the ports and around Rosslare where I passed the ferry that crosses the Irish sea. I had made my plans and was able to manoeuvre around any ships or trawlers. I pulled into a small harbour in Arklow, where a man from West Kerry (who had relocated to the area) was astonished to see a Naomhóg from his homeland pull into the harbour. He said he thought he'd never see such a sight, a Naomhóg from Beál Bán pulling into Arklow! The vessel which I used was over thirteen years old I had to make any necessary repairs on leaks or cracks at sea. I also studied the tides carefully as the sea doesn't give you a second chance so you had to be on the ball. Some people thought I was mad at the time, but I did it to show I wasn't and that it could be done. If you set your mind to anything it can be achieved."

The trip made national news at the time and his five children and wife Bridget, who looked after the family farm in his absence, listened to Ger's progress on the 'wireless' at home also reading about his journey in the national newspapers who looked after the family farm in his absence.

"I had my first Naomhóg when I was eight and discovered I had a love of the sea in the blood" he also recalled. "It was in me, the sea was calling and I had to answer the call."

Ger completed the amazing test of human endurance on the 12th of August when he pulled into Beál Bán near his home to a heroes welcome. During the voyage, he had suffered a perforated ulcer and had to be rushed to hospital in Tralee.

"After travelling around the coast of Ireland in a Naomhóg, it was only a small thing in comparison!" said the hardy sea-farer.

He went on the write a book about his experience, Cogarnach ar ár gCósta, which went on the become part of the Leaving Cert Syllabus and went on to publish a further three books, Bhí mo lá agam, Nár chlos ár namhaid and An Giorria san aer. It was the first and last time this amazing journey was completed.

"If something is calling to you then you must answer the call and be true to yourself" he said, "if something is in your heart, go after it full steam. There is no point in waiting because like the sea, time wait for nobody. You only have one chance in this life and you have to take it!"

8 comments:

bridie said...

rest in Peace my dear dad, you were a mighty man and father, love you and miss you ,
Love Bridie

Anonymous said...

JOHN SAID......MISS YOU DEARLY GRANDAD XXX

Anonymous said...

wife bridie....said miss you jer we will meet again someday in heaven above xxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

eileen daughter said..
ta do pian iminithe ta solas agat ar neamh/ beidh an tigh cuain.gan tu.agus ni beidh se mar a cheile gan thu dad/ rest in peace xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Margaret said...
Dad! remember times when we rowed out of Béal Bán and caught maceral off smerwick head. caught the slanting sun as we made our way home from the sea. laughed at the measly catch. you did'nt know i threw half the fish out cos i felt sorry for them!!will you forgive me now!! sometimes life throws that curve ball when you least expect it. I miss the chats about football. I miss the laughs. I miss your smile. will you watch over me dad please! you know how accident prone i am!life just won't be the same. make sure that Kerry win the Sam next year!!miss you forever.love xxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Margaret said...
Dad! remember times when we rowed out of Béal Bán and caught maceral off smerwick head. caught the slanting sun as we made our way home from the sea. laughed at the measly catch. you did'nt know i threw half the fish out cos i felt sorry for them!!will you forgive me now!! sometimes life throws that curve ball when you least expect it. I miss the chats about football. I miss the laughs. I miss your smile. will you watch over me dad please! you know how accident prone i am!life just won't be the same. make sure that Kerry win the Sam next year!!miss you forever.love xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Donald said...
Grandad we will miss you. i know everything there is to know now about Edmound Rice now thanks to you! Can i bring the boat out someday to fish. ill promise to be careful.just leave us a sign and i will know its you. miss you grandad.x

Anonymous said...

ger kavanagh was the first dingle man to take me and many others to the sea in his namhog, ta se fado ceathra blian agus moran, but i still will never forget going fishing with him catching lobsters and crabs in his pots and that gorgeous emerald green colour of the sea on a calm day and always those towering cliffs everywhere full of noisy sea birds, He and his entire family were the most amazing and hospitable people ever!!!!!
humbly and with deepest respect and thanks, jim lawless